It is a scholarship for disabled students conducted by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disability. It is a financial aid to secure the right to education for disabled students so that they can continue their studies in class 11 and so on. According to the 2016 Act, there are 21 specified disabilities as included in this Act is given below:
|S.No||Disabilities in PwD Act, 1995||Disabilities in RPwD Act, 2016|
|2||Low- Vision||Low- Vision|
|4||Hearing Impairment||Hearing Impairment (deaf and hard of hearing)|
|5||Locomotor Disability||Locomotor Disability|
|6||Mental Retardation||Intellectual Disability|
|7||Mental Illness||Mental Illness|
|8||Autism Spectrum Disorder|
|11||Chronic Neurological Conditions|
|12||Specific Learning Disabilities|
|14||Speech and language Disability|
|17||Sickle Cell Disease|
|18||Multiple Disabilities including deaf blindness|
|19||Acid Attack Victim|
|Scholarship Name||Post-Matric Scholarship 2023 for Students with Disabilities|
|Offered By||Central government of India|
|Ministry||Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities|
|Objective of Scheme||To promote literacy in disabled students|
|Eligibility||11th to postgraduate|
|Reward||Up to Rs 4,000|
|Beneficiary||Person with disabilities|
What is Post Matric Scholarship?
As per Census 2011, 2.22 percent of people of the total population are suffering from disabilities. Post Matric scholarship will help them pursue their further study & let them grow in the career path that they deserve.
It plays a vital role in socio-economic progress too. In Art 46 on part V, it is mentioned that the state will help to take special care of the people in terms of educational & economic interests.
Who is eligible to receive the scholarship?
Students who want to avail of the benefit must fall under certain eligibility categories.
- Nationality: A person must be an Indian citizen to avail of the scholarship.
- Condition of Disability: Students having disabilities with 40% and above are only eligible for this scholarship, which is to bring on a valid certificate. On the other hand, no more than two children of the same parents will be eligible for the benefits of the scheme.
- Duration: Any student repeating any class won’t be able to receive benefits. Students studying in any class will be able to avail this for one year.
- Family Income: Post matric scholarship is only for the students whose family income is two lakh fifty thousand per annum or below that.
- Qualification: Students who have passed Matriculation or Higher secondary or any other higher examination from a recognized university or board are only eligible for this scholarship.
Who has been notified as to the minor communities under this Scholarship?
According to the National Commission for Minorities Act, 1992. Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Jain, Buddhists, and Zoroastrian s (Parsis) are considered to be the minor communities under this scheme. The target is to distribute almost 5 lakh scholarships among the students from minor communities based on the population of states or UTs.
Scholarship Amount for 2023
There are different kinds of allowances that are included in this
1. Maintenance Allowance
|Standard||For hostellers (INR)||For Day Scholars (INR)|
|Bachelors or a postgraduate degree recognized by UGC/AICTE||1600||750|
|Professional degree or diploma courses||1100||700|
|graduation or courses equivalent to it like BA/B.SC/B.COM||950||650|
|Post matriculation level non-degree courses that require high school entrance qualification.||900||550|
2. Disability Allowance: The different number of allowances are payable for different kinds of disabilities. For Visually Impaired & Intellectual Disabilities the amount is Rs. 4000/-. For Hearing Impaired, Physically Disabled & all other disabilities the amount is Rs. 2000/-
3. Book Allowance: It is Rs.1500/- per annum.
What selection process would be followed under the Post Matric Scholarship Plan?
The authorities would issue an advertisement with all the details of the scholarship scheme on their website and leading newspaper. There are two different selection processes of application & they are mentioned below.
1. Fresh Post Matric Scholarship selection process
Studentsapplying for the first time come under this category. They have to apply before the date that is mentioned in the advertisement with proper documents. The final selection will be done by the department only. Maintenance allowance will be paid from the month of admission.
2. Renewal Post Matric Scholarship selection process
In case of a renewal of the scheme, the scholarship will be provided from year to year till the course continues. If a student fails in the examination for the first time the scholarship will not be provided for the same. On the other hand, if a student discontinues the course the student will have to refund the scholarship amount.
How to apply for the Post Matric Scholarship Program?
The applicant should submit the application on or before the mentioned date in the advertisement. Certain steps can be followed for that.
Step 1: One must apply through the website www.scholarship.gov.in where the official advertisement will be posted. Before applying, make sure you have read all the details mentioned there.
Step 2: The next important matter is getting your documents ready. As you are applying for the Post Matric Scholarship make sure all the required documents, like age proof, a disability certificate, an income certificate, and a photograph, are well attached.
Step 3: The institute under which the student is pursuing his course must be registered on the same site and verify the student’s details.
Step 4: After all the steps have been completed, take a printout of the form and keep it safe for future use. The final decision will be taken by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities on the basis of merit and the family’s income.
Information related to the Bank Account details that would be attached in the Scholarship form?
Students willing to apply for the scholarship must fill in their bank account details with utmost care. Things that should be mentioned carefully are – Bank Name, Branch Name, Account Number, IFSC Code, and account holder’s name. The account should be active & opened in the name of the student who is applying for the scheme. The KYC status of the account should be okay to make the payment successful.
What documents are required to apply for the Scholarship Form?
When applying for the Post Matric Scholarships make sure you have all the necessary documents, as in – Disability Certificate, age proof, photograph, Parent’s income certificate, receipt of tuition fees, last academic qualification, Bank account details with the name of the students, Aadhar card, Resident proof, etc.
Terms and Conditions
The terms and conditions to be followed during the tenure of the scholarship are:
- The scholarship will not be paid out for the MBBS course’s internship or horsemanship component, or for any other course’s practical training component.
- The maintenance allowance will start to be paid out on April 1st, whichever comes first—the month of admission.
- In the event that the student changes the subject of the course, the scholarship will be revoked.
- Any false information will result in the scholarship being revoked, the money being recovered, and the student being disqualified from participating in any further scholarship programs.
The Government of India initiated this scholarship to support disabled students and encourage them towards education. This scheme will help them to create their place in society and make them able to earn their livelihood. These students will grow beyond their barrier of physical, mental & psychological state.