A scholarship is a type of monetary or financial assistance to those students who excel in their studies and in order to support their further education, such scholarships are being given. Some scholarships are only given to those meritorious students who come from economically weaker backgrounds.
In today’s times, there are various types of scholarships that are available and are being given to the students. The National Means-Cum Merit Scholarship scheme is one such scholarship that is given to the brilliant students of economically weaker sections at class 9 level in order to support their education.
So let’s learn about this Scholarship program which is being run so that it can support those who need aid for their further studies.
|Scholarship Name||National Means-Cum Merit Scholarship (NMMS) 2023|
|Offered By||Central government of India|
|Ministry||Department of School Education & Literacy|
|Objective of Scheme||To promote higher education|
|Eligibility||Class 8th, 9th or 12th|
|Reward||Rs. 12,000 per Years|
|Beneficiary||Students with more than 55% marks|
|Mode of application||online|
What is National Means Cum Merit Scholarship?
This Scholarship was initiated with the sole purpose of encouraging the parents of the students of the minor communities to send their children to school to receive an education. As education is now an essential part of anyone’s survival, this scholarship was launched keeping this thing in mind.
This scholarship is meant to ease the financial stress of those parents whose wards are receiving school education and also to further support their children to receive full school education.
Therefore the main aim of this scholarship is to ease the financial burden of the meritorious students of the economically backward communities who are reeling under deep socio-economic constraints. Often due to lack of funds, they have to leave their studies and have to start supporting their families.
Who is eligible to receive the scholarship?
Candidates who want to apply for this Scholarship must go through the criteria listed below and check the requirements.
- School – Students should be studying in any Government, Government aided and local body schools. They must be of class 9.
The list of schools that are entitled to this scholarship grant also includes the government and private institutes which the Central Government and Union territory administration have chosen.
- Marks previously scored – Students having a minimum 55% marks in his\ her class 8th grade for appearing in the selection test.(5%marks is relaxed for SC and ST communities)
- Scholarship Amount- An amount of Rs12000 per year would be given to each selected student. The Scholarship award money has been increased from Rs 6000 to Rs 12000 per year with effect from 1st. April 2017.
- Family Income- The family income of the concerned students must not exceed more than Rs 1,50,000 annum.
What selection process would be followed under the National means cum merit Scholarship plan?
There are a set of rules for selecting eligible candidates for the scholarship programs. The authority usually follows a set of rules for the Fresh and Renewal of the National means cum merit scholarship (NMMSS). So let’s discuss this and know more about it.
Fresh National Means cum Merit Scholarship selection process
- NMMSS selection examination is conducted at class 8 standard.
- It’s like the states and the united territories (UT) conduct their own selection tests to select their candidates when they decide to accolade the candidate with the National Means Cum Merit Scholarship (NMMSS)
Due publicity is being given to this test by the central and state government in each school.
- A student who matches all the eligibility criteria should pass both the exams, i.e. Mental ability test (MAT) and Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) which is conducted under NMMSS with at least 40% marks in both the tests. For SC/ST candidates the scholarship amount is 32%.
Renewal of the Scholarship selection process
Any renewal candidate of the Pre-matric scholarship program would get the full scholarship if they have a minimum mark of 55% in their 9 and 12 standard examinations, and a minimum of 60% in class 10 for getting the scholarship amount in class 10.
Each of the candidate’s application forms would be under proper scrutiny, and it would be verified by the concerned authorities and then it would get approved by the state government and the union territories.
Furthermore, it is pertinent to say that in case, if the candidate needs to renew the application, then he needs to wait till the next year of the academics, and they will verify the same when he submits the application certificate.
How to apply for the National means cum merit Scholarship Program?
Those who would apply for the pre-matric scholarship program then they should be the students of classes 1 to 10 and they must follow the steps mentioned below.
Step 1: Visit the official website – At first what you need to do is to visit the official website of the concerned scholarship.
Step 2: Choose type – The candidate who wants to apply for this Scholarship, should make sure to select the form on the given website.
Step 3: Fill in the details – When the form appears, make sure to fill in the details in the form which includes your personal and qualification information and other credentials.
Step 4: Print out the form – When the candidate has filled up the details, he\she should make sure to submit it and then must download it. As he\she would require to print out the form for further use.
Note: It is mandatory to apply online on the given website if one is willing to receive the National Means Cum Merit Scholarship.
Information related to the Bank Account details would be attached in the Scholarship form
Interested students who are applying for the Scholarship must choose their bank/branch name carefully. It is very important that you carefully fill in the bank account number and details beside the bank IFSC Code.
The bank account that the student has mentioned in the application form should be in an active state and must contain the name of the student on the account. If any student does not possess any bank account then details of the bank account of his\her legal guardian should be mentioned
The candidates should also check their KYC “Know Your Customer” status from the bank for successful transactions.
Note: Incorrect bank account details might lead to the cancellation of the scholarship amount, immediately despite the approval of the application.
What documents are required to apply for the Scholarship Form?
The documents that you as a student would need to apply for the Scholarship form are.
- Photograph of student
- Verification form of the institution
- Self-declaration income certificate by the student.
- Self-attested mark sheet of the previous year’s final examination.
- The receipt of the fee of the institution and present course year.
- Bank account details with proof along with the student’s name.
- Bank of Xerox passbook with IFSC code
- Aadhar card xerox and original
- Religious certificate
- Residential certificate
The Central Government of India has initiated this Scholarship in order to spread education amongst all by making it cheap and affordable for all.