Dr. Ahmed Anwar, EdD
The academic leader, Dr. Ahmed Anwar became Rector of Villa College on October 17, 2007.
Dr. Ahmed Anwar was born in a small island in Addu Atoll in the south of Maldives. He received Diploma in Primary Education and Management of Community Primary Schools from Moray College of Education Edinburgh which is currently the education faculty of the University of Edinburgh Scotland. He also received Advanced Diploma in Education from University of Bristol, England. He holds Master of Education and earned a Doctorate in Education from Graduate School of Education, University of Bristol, England.
Dr. Ahmed Anwar is one of the most prominent figures in the field of education in the Maldives with more than 50 years of experience. He began his career as a teacher followed by various leadership positions in schools. He started his career
at the Ministry of Education of the Maldives at a time when Maldives has embarked the initiative by the UNESCO to universalize primary education provisions across the 200 or so inhabitant islands of the Maldives. After the successful administration of universal primary education, he then engage himself in expansion of secondary education to the outer islands of the Maldives as the Director General of School Systems of the Ministry of Education in the Maldives. Dr. Ahmed Anwar also played a key role in developing the higher education regulatory framework as the Director General and head of the Maldives Accreditation Board currently known as Maldives Qualification Authority.
After three years of service at the Maldives Qualification Authority, Dr. Ahmed Anwar left the public sector to establish Villa College, the first private higher education college in the Maldives. In 2007, Dr. Ahmed Anwar, then became the Rector of the Villa College, the leading higher education and research institute in the Maldives.
In 2011, he was appointed as the private higher education sector representative to the Higher Education Council by the Government of Maldives. He is also a founding member of Professional Association of Teachers of the Maldives and the Foundation for Social Development.
His dedication and contribution to the development of education was recognized by the Government of Maldives in 2011 with the National Award of Recognition for Outstanding Services in the Field of Education. In 2014, he was honored with the Meritorious Award in Educational Leadership and Management by Open University of Malaysia. Dr. Ahmed Anwar received an honorary PhD from Open University Malaysia – a university that promotes boundaryless education, in 2016. In recognition to his outstanding work Addu City Council of the Maldives presented Dr. Ahmed Anwar the Honorary Award of exceptional services to Addu City.
Dr. Ahmed Anwar is married to Ramla Hassan and is blessed with a son and two grandchildren.
Conferences, training, workshops and seminars
- World Bank Seminar on Quality Assurance in Tertiary Education, Sevres, France (June 2006). World Bank/ Asia Pacific Quality Network / OECD/ UNESCO CIEP, France
- Asia Pacific Quality Network conference and Annual General Meeting, Shanghai, China (March 2006), Asia Pacific Quality Network, Australia
- Training workshop on Institutional Audition, Hanoi, Vietnam (Jan 2006), Asia Pacific Quality Network, Australia
- Doctoral Programmes Conference (June 2003), Graduate School of Education, University of Bristol, England, UK
- South Asia Sub Regional Ministerial meeting on EFA. Katmandu, Nepal (2001)
- Seminar of Education of International Understanding. Korea Center for UNESCO, South Korea (2000)
- INQAAHE Conference, 2018, Mauritius
- INQAAHE Conference, 2019, Sri Lanka
- INQAAHE Virtual Conference, 2020, Russia
Affiliations and memberships
- Center for Globalization, Education and Societies University of Bristol, England, UK
- The work of the GES focuses on the complex interactions between globalization, education and societies, nationally, trans-nationally and
- Member of Higher Education Council (2011- 2018), Maldives
- Member of President of Maldives Award Selection Committee (2012 – 2014)
- Director General and Head of Maldives Qualification Authority (2005-2008)
- Director General at Ministry of Higher Education, Employment and Social Security
- Director General of Ministry of Education
- Member of People’s Majlis (Parliament) (1999-2004)
- Professional Association of Teachers, Maldives
Honors and Awards
Meritorious Award for Outstanding contribution to educational management and leadership, 2014
- National Award for Outstanding Contribution in the Field of Education, 2011
- Honorary PhD from Open University Malaysia, 2016
- Honorary Award for his exceptional services to Addu City, 2016