The Film and Television Institute of India, also known as FTII is a governmental institution that established in the year 1960 within the premises of Prabhat studios in Pune, Maharashtra. Prabhat Film Company bought the present-day FTII campus in the year 1933. FTII is an autonomous institution under the central Ministry of Information and Broadcasting. FTII is a film institute aided by the central government of India.
From the beginning of FTII it is the premier film institution in our country. B.P Singh is the president and Bhupendra Kainthola is the director of the institution. This film institution is affiliated to CILECT. Film and Television Institute of India is a member of world’s leading film and television organization CILECT. FTII is about to set up a new institution in Arunachal Pradesh as a part of an initiative to bring up the talents of the North Eastern Region.
FTII set up in 1960 begins the function from 1961. FTII is exactly the way to befit the world-class film schools. FTII offers regular courses to distance education which navigate one’s interest into what they seek regarding film and technology. Other than mere classroom lecture various wings are created under FTII. Outreach, Lensight, Radio FTII are all initiatives of this institution.
Outreach was a department created in the year 2012. This section collaborate with various film schools across the world. They also encourage students exchange program and faculty exchange to enhance the learning process. On the other side they published Lensight which is an academic journal that includes discussion and articles regarding the film and technology. They also inaugurated Radio FTII 90.4 on January 29, 2007 as a community radio run by students and faculty. In the year 2011, Minister Ambika Soni, introduced a bill to develop the FTII into canter of excellence.
The distinguished alumni of the esteem institution follows.
- Padma Bhushan Naseeruddin Shah, National Film Award-winning actor.
- Padma Bhushan Shabana Azmi studied acting from FTII.
- National Award-winning actor Om Puri, OBE studied from FTII.
- Padma Shri Sanjay Leela Bhansali, the producer, director, screenplay writer and music director.
- Rajkumar Hirani, the noted film director and editor.
- Rajkumar Rao, the national film award recipient.
- Shatrughan Sinha, film actor and politician.
- Academy Award winner, ResulPookuttygradutad from FTII in 1995.
- Vidhu Vinod Chopra, the producer, director and screenwriter studied film direction at FTII.
- Sriram Raghavan, the noted director and screenwriter is a graduate of the Institute. His diploma film was edited by ones of his batchmates, Rajkumar Hirani and went on to win a National Film Award in 1987.
- Anil Mehta, well-known for camera-skills completes his studies in cinematography from Film and Television Institute if India.
- David Dhawan joined FTII to study acting but realized it’s not his cup of tea and switched to editing.
- Padma Shri Jaya Bachchan is an alumnus of FTII.
- Jaideep Ahlawat completed his graduation in Acting from FTII in 2008.