To understand the creation of Jadavpur University is to understand a part of India’s freedom struggle. Founded by NCE (National Council of Education) in 1906, which was created by the likes of Raja Subodh Chandra Mallik, Brajendra Kishore Roy Chowdhury, Sir Rash Behari Ghosh (first President of NCE), Rabindranath Tagore, and Sri Aurobindo Ghosh with an aim to make India a self-reliant industrial base by cultivating global learning and technology among the students. Started as Bengal Technical Institute renamed as College of Engineering and Technology which then became the now Jadavpur University on the 24th of December 1955.
Its primary aim was to impart education not only scientific and technical but also literary on national lines to achieve self-reliance. Jadavpur University is successfully established as a leading Indian university now, with a wide range of courses offered, a spectacular list of faculty members, and has become popular for its commitment towards advanced study and research. It has established itself as a premier university of the country with a global perspective where its students could grow to become future leaders. Following the values of its predecessors, the university not only provides teachings of international quality but also provides services for the upliftment and betterment of rural and urban masses. The university not only provides knowledge in theory but also enables a student to be able to establish him/herself in the real world. It also provides distance courses for those who are less fortunate to study and work for livelihood at the same time.
- The Department of Economics was ranked at number 4 amongst the Centre of Advanced Studies in Economics in India in 2005.
- The status of the Centre of Advanced Study was awarded to its department of English in 2004 by the University Grants Commission.
- The Department of Philosophy is recognized by the University Grants Commission as a Centre of Advanced Study (Phase-I) in 1984, and a Centre of Advanced Study (Phase-IV) in 2010.
Research and development
Interdisciplinary research is one of its pillars. Approximately 13.5% of its yearly budget is allocated to research. It has a strong foreign exchange student program which improves the undergraduate teaching-learning programme. The university has signed 65 Memorandums of Understanding with leading institutions and organizations in India and abroad in the year 2012-13.
The university has a strong and one of the oldest alumni-base founded by the ex-students of the National Council of Education in 1921.
- Subrata Adak, Chemical Biologist Kajal Bandyopadhyay, Poet
- Sibaji Bandyopadhyay, Author, Critic
- Amitabha Bhattacharyya, Production Engineer
- Arundhati Bhattacharya, first woman Chairperson of SBI
- Suvendra Nath Bhattacharyya, Molecular Biologist
- Parambrata Chatterjee, Actor
- Shreyan Chattopadhyay, Music Director, Composer
- Shantanu Chowdhury, Structural Biologist.
- Samir Das, Professor, Computer Science, Stony Brook University
- Ujjwal Maulik, Computer Scientist, first faculty member to be elected fellow of IEEE
- Rohit K. Dasgupta, Politician, The Labour Party, and Academic, Loughborough University
- K. S. Dasgupta, Director, IISST
- Somnath Dasgupta, former Vice-Chancellor, Assam University
- Rituparno Ghosh, Actor, Director
- Saroj Ghose, ex-Director, Birla Industrial Technological Museum
- Alok Krishna Gupta, Petrologist
- Pinaki Majumdar, Condensed Matter Physicist
- Debalina Majumder, documentary Director
- Sunil Kumar Manna, Immunologist
- Hemanta Mukherjee, Music Composer-Director, Playback Singer, Film Producer-Director
- Kabir Suman, Singer, Songwriter, Music Composer
- Kumar Mukherjee, Hindustani Classical Vocalist.
- Neel Mukherjee, Novelist
- Padma Shri Ramaranjan Mukherji, Writer, former Chancellor of Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeeth.
- Subir Raha, former Director, ONGC
- Anupam Roy, Singer, Film Music Director
- Manabendra Nath Roy, Political Activist
- Subrata Roy, Professor, Inventor, Scientist
- Mohammed Salim, Politician
- Palash Sarkar, Cryptologist, Mathematician
- Bulusu Jaganadha Sastry, prominent Electrical Engineer, Philanthropist