“Mass communication is the study of how people and entities convey information through mass media to large segments of the population.” A career in Mass Communication is one of the hot choices for youngsters these days. A degree in Mass Communication opens up immense opportunities in the field of electronic media, print media, public relations, advertising, radio broadcasting, films, and new media like social media.
There are lots of news channels, radio/FM, newspapers, and magazines operational all across the country both in regional and English language and provide diverse job opportunities for qualified mass communication candidates. After doing this course, you can work as a journalist, reporter, newsreader, anchor, copy editor, graphic designer, illustrator, radio jockey, etc. Apart from media, you can also get good opportunities in various public relations and advertising agencies or big corporates in different industries. You have to maintain client relations, media relations, and content management profiles as a PR or Advertising professional. Corporate communication involves both internal and external communication profiles covering media, branding, events & exhibitions, etc.
Strong communication skills – verbal and written are a must to build a career in this field. You need to be creative and possess strong networking skills. Let’s see what are other skills required to build a career in Mass Communication.
Key Skills required for Mass Communication
|Verbal and Communication Skills||Articulation of thoughts||Story-teller|
|Out of the box thinking||Effective Writing Skill||Nose for news|
|Good listener||Observation skills||People person|
|Presentation skills||Confident||Time management skills|
Mass Communication Courses, Eligibility& Admission Criteria
Mass communication courses can help you develop good communication skills that can help you make a confident professional in the field. With the right course of mass communication from the right college, you can acquire excellent skills in this field and earn a decent salary. Mass Communication courses in India are available in private as well as government mass communication colleges. In order to secure admission in the Mass Communication courses in these colleges, students must appear for various mass communication entrance exams. Some private colleges allow direct admission on the basis of merit without entrance exams.
|Diploma in Journalism and Mass Communication||2 years|
|BA in Journalism||3 years|
|BA Hons Journalism & Mass Communication (BJMC)||3 years|
|Diploma in Media Studies||3 years|
|BA Hons Multi-Media & Mass Communication (BMMMC)||3 years|
|BA Hons Multi-Media & Mass Communication (BMMMC)||3 years|
|BA Hons in Hindi Journalism & Mass Communication (BHJMC)||3 years|
|B.A. Film Making and Mass Communication||3 years|
|M.A in Journalism and Mass Communication||2 years|
|Post Graduate Diploma in Business Journalism & Corporate Communication (PGDBJCC)||1 year|
|P.G. Certificate Course in Hindi Journalism||1 year|
|P.G. Diploma in Hindi Journalism||2 years|
|Ph.D. in Mass Communication||2 years|
Mass Communication Eligibility Criteria
If you aspire to make a career in the field of mass communication or journalism, you have to fulfill certain eligibility criteria to get admission to mass communication courses. Different colleges have different eligibility criteria for offering admissions to students.
- Diploma programme: To pursue a diploma course in mass communication, you need to pass class 12 from a recognized board of education, in any stream of education.
- Undergraduate degree courses: You need to score at least 45% to 50% marks in class 12 in order to be eligible for the undergraduate degree courses.
- Postgraduate degree and diploma courses: Postgraduate degree and diploma courses require you to hold a graduation degree and diploma respectively with at least 50% marks.
Admission Criteria for Mass Communication Courses
To get admission in Mass Communication courses, you may follow these points mentioned below:
- Most of the Mass Communication colleges provide on the basis of merit in class 12 board exams.
- Some of the popular universities including KIIT (Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology) University, BHU (Banaras Hindu University), DU (Delhi University) and GGSIPU (Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University) conduct entrance exams for admission to Mass Communication Courses.
- There are other rounds like Group Discussions or Personal Interviews also conducted by colleges to evaluate the communication skills of candidates before offering admission to the course.
Best Government Mass Communication Colleges in India
- Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC) – New Delhi
- A. J. K. Mass Communication Research Centre, Jamia Milia Islamia University – New Delhi
- Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) – Pune
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women (LSR) – New Delhi
- Delhi College of Arts and Commerce (DCAC) – New Delhi
- Indraprastha College for Women (IP College) – New Delhi
- Department of Journalism and Mass Communication, BHU – Varanasi
- Institute of Mass Communication, Film and Television Studies (IMCFTS) – Kolkata
- Department of Communication and Journalism – Pune
Best Private Mass Communication Colleges in India
- CHRIST (Deemed to be University) – Bangalore
- Amity School of Communication, Noida
- Apeejay Institute of Mass Communication (AIMC) – Delhi
- Manipal School of Communication, Manipal
- Xavier Institute of Communications – Mumbai
- Madras Christian College (Autonomous) – Chennai
- Acharya Institutes – Bangalore
- Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College – Mumbai
- Manipal Institute of Communication – Manipal
- Jagannath University–Jaipur
- KL University – (KLU)–Guntur
Scope in the field on Mass Communication
Mass communication is a good career option that gives you ample career options as per your skills and interest. The scope of mass communication in India is wide with a huge number of media, PR, advertising, and broadcasting organizations. If you have good communication skills, you can get an opportunity to work with some of the best organizations like publishing & production houses, news channels, radio/FM channels, online media, event management, PR agencies, or Digital Marketing firms in the country.
Starting salary for a mass communication professional could be between INR 2 lakhs per annum to INR 4 lakhs per annum. The professional having 5 plus years of work experience can expect a higher salary in the range of INR 6 lakhs to INR 12 lakhs per annum.
A career in Mass Communications brings fame, popularity, and respect to society. You build good contacts with media, bureaucrats, or VIPs. It is a highly responsible job profile and you are accountable for imparting the right message to the right people with utmost authenticity and accuracy. The field is wide and endless opportunities are there for candidates having excellent command of their language. This career field is a high-salary profession with decent packages and other perks. If you love to communicate with people and have a creative mind, this field has endless opportunities waiting for you!