The Indian Government has made it mandatory for teachers teaching at the nursery, primary, secondary and senior secondary levels to hold proper B.Ed. Degrees to ensure and enhance the quality of teaching and learning. The Bachelor of education is a two-year undergraduate teaching program that has to be pursued after the completion of graduation, to gain teaching jobs in schools. The course is offered as a full-time course and is regulated by the National Council for Teacher Education. It is also offered in distance mode by reputed open universities like IGNOU for teachers with teaching experience.
The eligibility criteria to enrol in the B.Ed. Degree are as follows
- The applicant should have completed graduation in any arts or science stream.
- The applicant should have 50 to 55% aggregate marks from a recognized university or college
- The candidate should have completed a minimum of 19 years of age and there is no upper age limit for this course.
- Some universities conduct entrance exams followed by a counselling process for admission. These entrance tests will be conducted in May and June.
The B.Ed. The syllabus covers subjects such as holistic education, guidance, and counselling, psychology, etc. The course curriculum is divided into core courses, pedagogy courses, and other relevant topics to enhance the teacher’s engagement in the field. The curriculum is designed in such a way that the teacher can handle children from diverse socio-cultural and economic backgrounds and with different cognitive abilities. The duration of the course is for two hours, and it can be completed within the maximum span of 5 years. The course will be conducted over four semesters for a period of two years.
The admission process for the B.Ed. degree varies from one university to another. But the general process can be delineated as follows.
- Visit the official website of the institute and download the registration form.
- The application form has to be filled as instructed and all the required documents should be uploaded.
- Some universities conduct entrance examinations followed by counselling to select the candidates, whereas others prepare a merit list and award admission accordingly.
- The students have to furnish the original documents as required during the time of counselling and admission.
The common entrance exams for the B.Ed. The degree is the IGNOU B.Ed. admissions, which is the best B.Ed. open university in India, DU B.Ed., IPU CET, Regional institute of education common entrance test (RIE CEE), MAH Integrated B.Ed.- M.Ed. CET, etc. The entrance examination will be conducted on general knowledge, verbal aptitude, logical reasoning, teaching aptitude, and quantitative aptitude. The questions will be of both objective type and comprehension type and those who excel in the exams with the highest marks will be awarded admission by the respective university.
Ranking of B.Ed. Colleges
The ranking of the top five B.Ed Colleges in India are as follows
- Department of Education, University of Delhi
- Amity institute of education, Amity University, Delhi
- Faculty of Education, Jamia Millia Islamia University, South Delhi
- Bombay Teachers training college
- Lady Irwin College, Delhi
Job Opportunities in India and Abroad:
Finding a job as a teacher in private and government schools and colleges becomes easy after completion of the B.Ed. course. To recruit in government schools, the candidate has to appear for national and state-level entrance tests. Apart from taking up teaching roles, they can also become educational researchers, educational consultants, research assistants and counsellors. Candidates can pursue M.Ed, and Ph.D. to become scholars and fetch jobs with attractive packages.