Updated: November 23, 2023, 05:42 PM IST
AICTE Takes Charge of BBA, BBM, BMS, and BCA Programs: The All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) has taken a noteworthy step by expanding its jurisdiction to encompass undergraduate management and computer science programs. This decision aligns with the broader goals outlined in the National Education Policy (NEP), envisioning a redefined educational landscape by 2030.
No Changes in Admission Process, Seats, or Fees
The recent announcement ensures that the existing admission processes, total seats, and fee structures for the Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA), Bachelor of Business Management (BBM), Bachelor of Management Studies (BMS), and Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA) programs will remain unaffected. However, institutions offering these courses will now be required to seek approval from the AICTE.
AICTE to Revamp Examination Patterns and Curricula
AICTE Chairman TG Sitharam highlighted that the council plans to develop model curricula and redesign examination patterns for these undergraduate programs. While the admission process remains intact, the AICTE aims to ensure the quality of education and align these courses with the evolving global landscape.
Three Types of Institutes Recommended by NEP
The NEP recommends the existence of three types of institutes by 2030: Multidisciplinary universities, autonomous degree-granting colleges, and institutes forming part of higher education clusters. With the inclusion of these undergraduate programs, colleges can now run integrated courses, expanding their student base.
Flexibility and Adherence to Model Curricula
Institutions offering BBA and BCA programs will be required to adhere to 80% of the model curricula developed by experts, including academicians and industry leaders. This move aims to maintain a standard while allowing flexibility for institutions to customize the remaining 20% to meet local needs.
Examination Reforms and Outcome-Based Textbooks
AICTE officials revealed plans to introduce examination reforms, moving away from routine examinations to more dynamic evaluation methods. Additionally, textbooks will be designed to be outcome-based, aligning with the changing expectations of different industries, such as cybersecurity and generative AI.
Implementation Timeline and Clarification
The model curriculum for BBA and BCA programs is set to be implemented in the academic year 2024-25. AICTE Chairman TG Sitharam clarified that this is not a transfer from the University Grants Commission (UGC). Instead, it is an additional approval process ensuring adherence to standards for running world-class programs.
In conclusion, the AICTE’s expansion of oversight marks a pivotal moment in the regulation of undergraduate management and computer science programs, aligning with the evolving educational landscape and global industry expectations. Institutions are now tasked with balancing adherence to model curricula while incorporating local needs and maintaining their unique identities.