One of the most esteemed universities in India, Delhi University has a rich legacy of top-notch academic acumen, international diversity, highly knowledgeable faculty, vibrant extra-curricular culture and enviable modern infrastructure. Ever since its inception, it has stood the test of time with respect to its global academic standards and coveted holistic higher education programmes.
DU came into existence in 1922 as a single, teaching and accommodative university by an act of the erstwhile Central Legislative Assembly. It’s an unflinching commitment towards excellence in teaching, research and social responsibility has rendered it a pioneer in the education paradigm in India. Its enviable helm includes the likes of The President of India as the Visitor, The Vice President as the Chancellor and the Chief Justice if Supreme Court as the pro-chancellor. The university had humble beginnings with just three colleges and the collective strength of 750 students. Since then it has grown to a mammoth 7 lakh+ batch strength, having over 80 academic departments and colleges and offering over 500 programmes. These programmes have been endorsed by the Academic and Executive Councils including 209 courses in the reckoning for NAAC accreditation.
Attracting students and staff from across India and abroad, the College has developed as an image of greatness, trustworthiness and receptiveness of thought, discourse and action.
This University is a leading and paramount university of India and is well known for its exceptionally good standards in education and research. Its rich scholarly custom has not only roped in good scholars and faculties but also consistently pulled in the most skilled entrants who later on made significant contributions to the community.
Started with just three colleges. Stephen’s College in 1881, Hindu College in 1899 and Ramjas College in 1917, today the University has expanded into the biggest university in the country.
The university is granted the status of the Centers of Advanced Studies for providing cutting-edge education in departments namely Chemistry, Geology, Zoology, Sociology and History.
Research & Development
This University continuously strives to work for the betterment of society by creating and sharing of information and specialized expertise through the quality of research. While one cannot evaluate the considerable sources of inputs that go into the research, few of the quantifiable/desired results incorporate finances from extramural sources, research awards, research-based course educational plans, research management by staff and the number of entrants joined up with postgraduate and doctoral programmes. Some instances of output comprise of superior publications, patents, MoUs, references, distinguished awards/honors acquired by staff and researchers.
Some of the prominent Indians from the never-ending list, having studied from DU follow.
- Amitabh Bachchan, Kirori Mal College.
- Shah Rukh Khan, Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Hansraj College, 1985-88.
- Arun Jaitley, former Minister of Finance
- Kiran Bedi, the first female IPS officer who went on to become the Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry, did her LL.B.from DU in 1988.
- Shashi Tharoor, the former international diplomat, got his bachelor’s of arts degree in history from St. Stephen’s in 1975.
- Anurag Kashyap, the award-winning critically acclaimed filmmaker, Hansraj College, 1993.
- Rahul Gandhi, the President of INC, St. Stephen’s College
- Mayawati, the 17th CM of UP, the President of BSP.
- Subramaniam Swamy, statistician, economist and politician, Bachelor’s in Mathematics, Hindu College
- Kapil Sibal, INC party
- Shekhar Kapur, the international film-maker, studied economics at St. Stephen’s College.
- K., the prominent singer graduated from Kirori Mal College.