St. Xavier’s College is an autonomous institute, accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) with an “A++” grade. The institute is known for its qualitative teaching and research and is located in the City of Joy, Kolkata. The college established in 1860 by Jesuits organisation, is ranked 7th in 2020 by National International Ranking Framework. SXC achieved various recognitions like ISO 9001:2015 Certified for higher education, autonomous grant in 2006, College with Potential for Excellence in 2006, College of Excellence in 2014, and College with a Special Heritage Status in 2015.
St. Xavier’s College is having 160 years of experience in bettering the quality of teaching and learning. The institute offers 22 undergraduate and 9 postgraduate courses. SXC also offers B. E., Career Oriented Courses, Ph. D. Programmes, Research, National Exchange, and International Studies and Exchange. The college is having a wide range of skills and information to help the students to improve their knowledge and abilities. SXC facilitates all the educational requirements to build up the career of the students.
St. Xavier’s College is highly dedicated to building a healthy educational society. It wants the promotion of a society based on love, equality, freedom, liberty, justice, and fraternity. The college has grown to become a nationally ranked, all-purpose, and co-educational institution. The mission statement of the college is highly ambitious for the future.
It aims at
- Excelling in all areas of teaching, i.e., learning, research, outreach, and consultancy
- Contributing to the creation of knowledge and searching for the meaning of life
- Providing education that qualifies as world-class for the students
- Bridging the gap between the rural-urban divide, taking the benefits of education to the poor and the marginalized, aiming at their empowerment
- Inspiring and challenging all segments of the college to the realm of good to great to greater through continuous quality assessment
- Promoting academic exchange and academia-industry interfacing, taking advantage of the latest technology
- Contributing to the well-being of the nation without counting the cost
- Ramabadran Gopalkrishnan got his Bachelor’s degree in Physics from SXC and is currently working as the Executive Director of Tata Sons Ltd.
- Aditya Vikram Birla, an old Xavier student was the former Chairman of the Birla Group.
- Sahitya Academy Awardee of 2009, Chinmay Guha, did his graduation in English literature from SXC.
- Kamal Nath got his Bachelor’s degree in Commerce from Xavier’s and is the 18th Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh.
- M. Hamid Ansari who served as the 12th Vice President of India also graduated from this college.
- Chandrajit Banerjee currently appointed as the Director-General of the Confederation of Indian Industry graduated from St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata in Economics.
- Chairman of RPG, Sanjiv Goenka also did his graduation from this college.
- Utpal Dutt who won National Film Award for Best Actor in 1970, graduated in English literature from St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata.
- Indian fashion and costume designer Aki Narula graduated in Commerce from SXC.