St. Xavier’s College in Mumbai, Maharashtra is an autonomous institution under University of Mumbai. It was established in the year 1869 on January 2. It is a Nonprofit coeducational higher St. Xavier’s college was the first to award with autonomous status by the University of Mumbai in the year 2010. The NAAC awarded the college with A+ grade in 2006. Challenging to fly is the motto of college. The college was named after Father Xavier and is run by Indian Jesuits. German Jesuits were the founder of college. The college is afflicted to Roman Catholic. The campus is very well known for their inter-collegiate youth festival. The campus spread over 2.94 acres with all the facilities required for a an academy
St. Xavier’s College offer many courses in Arts and science stream. Business, commerce and public policy are other section which are offered in the campus. Various graduation and post-graduation programs offered by the campus beat the national level academic performance. The college is afflicted by NAAC since 1956. The campus offers eight UG courses, four PG courses, diploma course as well as certificate course.
The library within the campus acts as central Library for all the students and faculty. This library has a collection of 133,489 books. Among them, more than fifty percent of books are for referential purpose. Students also have access to digital library. The campus promote not only the academic performance but encourage students in sports and other countries curricular activities. The college aims for an holistic development of a student.
Research & Development
Caius Laboratory famous for its Inter-Disciplinary Research was established in 1947 in order to carry out drug research. It was redefined as well as re-equipped with new instruments as well. It basically works as the research and coordination centre for all the Science Departments across the institute. Nadkarny – Sacasa Research Laboratory which was established in 1972 provides most modern research facilities in the area of Chemistry and it connects research with the concerned industry. It can support nearly 20 Post-Graduate research students in department of Chemistry and has produced several doctorates as well.
The list of celebrities and noted personalities having studied from St. Xavier’s Mumbai follows.
- The richest Aisan currently, the billionaire business magnate, the largest shareholder, chairman and managing director of Reliance Industries Ltd. attended St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai.
- The never-aging Anil Kapoor, known for working in more than hundred Hindi films, international films and television series.
- Padma Shri Alyque Padamsee, the theatre personality and ad professional who headed Lintas Bombay.
- Padma Bhushan Ustad Zakir Hussain the table virtuoso briefly attended St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai.
- Padma Bhushan Sunil Gavaskar, the former Indian International cricketer is an alumnus of the College.
- Posthumous Ashoka Chakra awardee Ashok Kamte martyred in action during the 2008 Mumbai attacks completed his Bachelor’s degree in 1985 from St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai.
- Padma Vibhushan Soli Sorabjee, former Attorney General of India attended St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai.
- Zarina Mehta Screwvala, the entrepreneur and philanthropist, currently the managing trustee of Swades Foundation got her B.A. in Economics from St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai.
- Padma Vibhushan Ebrahim Alkazi attended St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai.