SGPIMS expanded to Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences is a medical institute established in 1983 in Lucknow, in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. It is named after the former Prime Minister of India, Sanjay Gandhi. SGPIMS, Lucknow was established by the State Legislature Act. The campus of SGPIMS is spread over five hundred and fifty acres of land. The college believes in delivering medical care in the tertiary sector and delivering high-quality teaching and training, along with research work. SGPIMS has hired more than 190 lecturers and has more than 30 departments providing education across several fields. It ranks 4th amongst the medical institutes in the rankings by the Ministry of Human Resource Development’s National Institute Ranking Framework in 2019. Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences is recognized by The Medical Council of India.
The institute has a good computer-network built all over the campus, provided with an internet connection and e-mail facilities. The library is equipped with over 21,000 books and nearly 450 subscriptions to various scientific journals. SGPIMS introduced the 3-year D.M. / M.Ch. program when the common duration of the course was of two years. It is considered to be the leading institution in India to begin DM courses across various fields of clinical immunology, MCh, and Genetics. In addition to providing postgraduate medical training, SGPIMS is also a working hospital. The various courses provided by SGPIMS are as follows.
- Post-Doctoral Certificate Course or PDC in Critical Care Medicine, Anaesthesia, Renal Pathology, Microbiology, and Paediatric Gastroenterology, Ophthalmology, Radiology, Haematology, Maternal and Reproductive Health, and Transfusion Medicine.
- Doctor of Philosophy or Ph.D. in Gastroenterology, Immunology, Neurology, Pathology, Radiotherapy, Genetics and Transfusion Medicine.
Research and Development
SGPIMS has had over 50 extramural researches and about another 50 intramural research projects since 2012. A lot of these researches revolve around various cancers, tumors, and the therapeutic impacts on the same. They are also conducting research on Hepatitis viruses, Genetic alterations, and the development of robotic motion for radiotherapy among others.
There are many corporate hospitals that hire students from this institution. There are coordinators who are responsible to coordinate with the students and place them responsibly in reputed hospitals as residents for their residency programmes and other positions.
- National Bioscience Award for Career Development recipient Dr. Amita Aggarwal did her D.M. from SGPIMS.
- World’s renowned urological surgeon, Dr. Ashutosh K.Tewari did his M.Ch. in SGPIMS.
- Dr. Kanneboyina Nagaraju who is a renowned scientist is also a part of the alumni of SGPIMS.
- Dr. Harish Poptani who is a Professor and Chair of the center for Pre-clinical imaging at the University of Liverpool obtained his Ph.D. in Radiology from SGPIMS.
- Yash Bharti Award recipient and a notable professor in Neurology, Dr. Ramakant Yadav got his D.M. from SGPIMS as well.