National Institute of Industrial Engineering was in fact, earlier known as National Institute for Training in Industrial Engineering. It is a public management institute located in Powai in Mumbai, and this institute is often ranked among the top ten Business Schools in the country. NITIE was established by the Government of India in the year of 1963 with the assistance of UNDP through ILO in order to create skilled professionals across. The institute was funded by the Government of India and is registered as a society as per the Societies Registration Act, 1860.
NITIE offers postgraduate programs in fields of management as well as industrial engineering. Apart from that it also offers doctoral level fellowship programs. Every year NITIE trains over 2000 professionals through various Management Development Programs and the unit-based programs under different sectors of Industrial Engineering & Management.
The institute offers a Doctoral Level Fellowship Program that is recognized by HRD. It has the same value as a Ph.D. from any Indian University. It is a stream that is aimed at modeling individuals so that they become competent and skilled enough for a better career in research, academics, consulting and business. The Fellow Programme commenced in the year of 1984. The program is dynamic as well as interdisciplinary in nature, covering almost all areas. The alumni of this Fellowship Programme have occupied the better chairs in academics and industry as well.
In this placement season, there was a participation of 121 odd companies on campus for the 414 participants to get recruited at NITIE Mumbai. Already an approximately 34% percent of the 2020 batch received either their pre-placement offers or pre-placement interviews. They received it through the summer internships that they did with top corporate companies. There were recruiters like HUL, ITC, Amazon, Flipkart, P&G, Philips, Deloitte, PwC US Advisory as some of them. NITIE always remained as the preferred destination for the recruiters across. NITIE added around 20 new recruiters including IDFC First, Grofers, RBEI, McKinsey, Ather Energy, SAP Labs, Square Yards, RBL Bank, etc.
- Ganesh Natarajan, former chairman on NASSCOM, currently the Global CEO and the Vice-Chairman of Zensar Technologies Limited graduated in 1981.
- Rakesh Agarwal who heads Microsoft Soft Labs graduated from the batch of 1978.
- Sri Dev Bhattacharya, Business Head and Group Executive President of Aditya Birla Group graduated from NITIE in 1982.
- B. Prasad Rao, Managing Director and Chairman of Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited graduated in the year 981.
- Rakesh Kumar Sinha, COO, Global Supply Chain, Manufacturing and IT of Godrej Consumer Products Ltd. graduated in 1980.
- Akhilesh Tuteja, Partner, Advisory Services, KPMG, graduated in 1998.
- J Ramakrishna Rao, who serves in the Ministry of Defence, Government of India, graduated in 1982.