King George’s Medical University is a medical university and working hospital in the city of Lucknow, in the state of Uttar Pradesh in India. It capacitates about 450 postgraduate students, and about 250 enroll each year for MBBS, making it a total of nearly 1250 students pursuing under-graduation. The department of Dentistry takes up about 280 students. It turned into a university from being a medical school in 2002. The Ph.D. courses began in 2004. There are nearly 425 faculty members for over 50 departments. It ranks 10th in the NIRF rating of medical colleges, as of 2020.
The University supports the Faculty of Medical Sciences, Institute of Paramedical Sciences, Institute of Nursing, and Faculty of Dental Sciences. The current campus is spread over an area of around 24 odd acres. The University offers courses of Anatomy, Physiology, Pediatrics, Obstetrics, Medicine, Surgery, Pathology, Gynecology, Cardiology, Neurology, Psychiatry, Plastic Surgery, Rheumatology, Surgical Oncology, Chest Medicine, Neurosurgery, Pathology, Pharmacology, Anaesthesiology, Ophthalmology, Urology and Community Medicine, Geriatric Mental Health, Biochemistry, and Physiology.
Teaching and training activities via workshops and seminars and other courses are provided to both the faculty and the students, boosting and promoting them for intramural research activities. Currently, more than 200 research projects are going on in nearly 32 departments, the funding of which is provided extramurally. Some of the studies include bio-medical waste disposal, and inflammatory biomarkers in connection with cancers, and urban mental health problems.
The courses offered are UnderGraduate Diploma, PG Diploma, Master of Chirurgiae – M. Ch., MD, MS, MDS, DM, B. Sc., M. Sc., MBBS, and BDS. King George’s Medical University aims to provide excellence to all its students enrolled in the various courses and provide them with updated scientific and professional challenges that they can face.
The University provides placements to students in its hospital who are enrolled under both, the undergraduate and the postgraduate programmes. Although the basic salary package varies in various courses, as of 2017, about 320 students from various courses were provided with placements.
Some of the prominent alumni of this prestigious University are listed below.
- Chairman of Bhartiya Vidya Bhavan and former Vice-Chancellor of Manipal University, Dr. Belle Monappa Hegde is an alumnus of KGMU.
- Pharmacologist and physiologist, Dr. B. K. Anand, who is noted for locating the feeding center in the hypothalamus.
- Dr.SandakRuit, co-founder of Tilganga Institute of Ophthalmology who cured over lakh patients by restoring their eyesight using small-incision surgery
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad, Dr. B. C. Roy Award recipient for his work in the field of pulmonology
- Dr. Anil Kohli, recipient of Padma Shri and Padma Bhushan, and the only dentist to have received both of these honours
- The former director of Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya Institute of Medical Sciences, Dr.Nuzhat Husain
- Dr. Ravindra Nanda, founding faculty of School of Dental Sciences in the University of Connecticut
- Dr. Mahesh Prasad Mehray, founder of Sitapur Eye Hospital chain
- Dr.Autar Singh Paintal, the first Indian physiologist who was awarded a fellowship in the Royal Society of London
- Dr. Sunil Pradhan, a neurologist known for his Pradhan Sign and invention of two electrophysiological techniques
- Founder-cum-Vice-Chancellor of NIMS University of Jaipur, Dr. K. C. Singhal is an alumnus of KGMU.