IIFT or the Indian Institute of Foreign Trade is a business school established by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry of the GoI. Also known as the Indian Institute of Global Management, it is located in Delhi as well as in Kolkata, West Bengal. It is an autonomous public school, even conducting its own examinations, which was given the status of Deemed University in 2002. The Kolkata campus, which got operational in 2006, is considered a pioneer and a leading B-school for MBA in International Business. It provides its students with skills and knowledge for general management techniques important for international business. As of 2019, Business Today ranks this institute as 10th for business-education in the country. As of 2020, Chronicle B School Survey ranks this institute 6th, and National Institutional Ranking Framework ranks it at 26th amongst the top management schools, while MBAUniverse.com ranks it at the 11th position.
The institute carries out a lot of researches distributed in the form of study reports, monographs, and occasional papers. The contributing researchers are academicians, policymakers, traders, multilateral organizations, and NGOs. The Institute has a journal named “Foreign Trade Review”, which is published quarterly by Sage Publications. The journal covers the subjects of international trade, finance, econometrics, IT, WTO, Trade blocs, and marketing. There is another quarterly journal published by the Institute, “Focus WTO” that focuses exclusively on WTO related issues and “E-zine”, an electronic magazine published for the International Trade in Technology Department by the Centre.
The Courses Offered by IIFT are:
- MBA in International Business
- Executive Postgraduate Diploma in International Business
- Doctoral Programmes
- Certificate Programme in Export Management
IIFT Kolkata campus receives the highest paying and international offers from commodity trading companies. It has observed 100% summer placements and the highest package offered in final placements in the Kolkata campus is INR 1.5 crores per annum. Some of the companies offering placements here are JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, Reliance Industries, Tata Sky, GCPL, ITC, Shell, Ab InBev. Some of the other companies hiring from IIFT Kolkata mentioned sector-wise are.
- Operations & Logistics – Amazon, Maersk Line, Freight Tiger, and Rivigo
- Sales & Marketing – ABFRL, Tata Sky, Airtel, Bata, Dell, Field Fresh Foods, GAIL, Polycab, GE, HP, HT Media, Infoedge, Jain Irrigation, Lenskart, Games 24*7, Mother Dairy, Bajaj Auto, OYO, Raymond, Swiggy, Enhance Group, Tetrapak, TGBL, Value Labs, and Zomato
- Consultancy – Bain Capability Centre, Infosys Management Consulting, Deloitte, KPMG, and Cognizant Business Consulting
- IT – Axtria, Value Labs, Capgemini, Genpact, Google, Info Edge, Wipro Technologies, Hexaware, and IBM
- General Management & Strategy – Airtel, Murugappa Group and Fermenta Biotech
- Finance – Samunnati Finance, Citi Bank, CRISIL, DE Shaw Group, EpikInDiFi, HomeCredit, HSBC, ICICI Bank, Tresvista Financial Services, Indus Valley Partners, JPMC, L&T, Syngenta AG, Tata Motors, and Yes Bank
- The founder of Edelweiss Capital, one of the leading financial services conglomerates, Rashesh Shah is an alumnus of IIFT.
- Mohit Malhotra, the CEO of Dabur International, is an alumnus of this institute.