In the year 1969 the Ministry of Tourism, Government of India, and Government of Uttar Pradesh together set up a Food Craft Institute which later upgraded to the Institute of Hotel Management in 1980. In the field of Hospitality and Tourism IHM-Lucknow gives valuable training and education to the youth. Being a government institution it has a high reputation and excellence in the area of hotel management. IHM-Lucknow has completed its glorious 50 years in the field of education and it aims to provide better training to its students. IHM is affiliated with National Council for Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Noida.
IHM, Lucknow started as a Food Crafting institute, and later it conducted a three-year diploma course, after its up-gradation to a hotel management institution. Students come to IHM-Lucknow with high expectations of receiving a great quality of training after which they would be prepared to start their own venture right away. Currently, IHM-Lucknow offers various full-time graduation, post-graduation, and diploma courses which include B.Sc. and M.Sc. in Hospitality & Hotel Management, Diploma in Food Production, Bakery & Confectionery, Food & Beverages Service, and a post-graduate diploma in Accommodation Operation Management. The institution aims at developing the professional and academic excellence of the students which will help them have a successful career as an Executive Chef or a front desk manager or as a Manager of a hotel or restaurant, or they can even be a food & beverage manager or an executive house-keeper and the likes. The career they choose will be their own venture but IHM-Lucknow swore to provide them with the best of everything so that they can create their own success stories.
In the last academic session, the total number of students who appeared for campus recruitment was 189 and the total number of job offers was 248. The placement percentage was 131. The highest package offered was 4.75 LPA and the lowest was 1.68 LPA. Sectors from which job offers were made are Hotels, Retails, and QSRs. The recruiting partners were The Oberoi Group, The Park Hotel, Radisson, IHG, Aditya Birla, Awfis, The Leela Palace, ITC Hotels, Jaypee Hotels & Resorts, Taco Bell, Fortune, Reliance Smart, Cinepolis, Burger King, Barbeque Nation, etc.
- Dr. Savita Sharma started as a Business Associate at Vertex then she moved up and became a faculty at Ansal University, Gurgaon IHM Mumbai. Currently, she is an associate professor at Amity University.
- The recipient of the TATA Award for Business Excellence Mr. Rajeev Janveja is from this institution. He is currently the Corporate Chef of the Lemon Tree group, but he started his culinary journey at the Taj Group of Hotels.
- Master Chef International Cuisine awardee Pawan Uppal who is currently working as an executive chef at Habitat world is an alumnus of this fine institution.
- Suchitra Gambhir, the head of the Housekeeping Department at the Oberoi who started her career with Trident, Nariman Point is a proud alumnus of IHM, Lucknow.
- Vipul Mohan, the General Manager of Radisson Udaipur has over 16 years of experience in this field and he has worked with some reputed companies like Inter-Continental Hotels Group (IHG), Carlson Hotels Group, etc.